We keep hearing everyone tell us to drink lots of water – that we need water.
Why? What’s the big deal about water?
Some people say – “I drink 1 to 2 glasses of water and I don’t need any more, I’m not thirsty, it doesn’t taste like anything, I drink lots of coffee and tea, I don’t need anymore water…”
Well, let’s take a look at what the big fuss is about.
Did you know that the average adult human body is 50-65% water? The average adult male is about 60% water. The average adult woman is about 55% water because women naturally have more fatty tissue than men. Overweight men and women have more water, as a percent, than their leaner counterparts.
The percent of water depends on your hydration level. People feel thirsty when they have already lost around 2-3% of their body’s water. Mental performance and physical coordination start to become impaired before thirst kicks in, typically around 1% dehydration.
The importance of keeping hydrated plays a HUGE role in overall health. Not to mention the # 1 reason why I believe it is important to drink water is to relieve constipation. Yup, that’s a big one. In my colon hydrotherapy practice, if my clients left my studio the session yielded less results, I recommend drinking more water and they should expect a shift in their bowel movements. I speak from experience.
So we are told to drink lots of water but we seldom are told WHY we need to drink so much water. Nearly all major systems in your body require water to function properly. Take a look at the chart from the Mayo Clinic below.
Our bodies lose water from many different ways such as your breath, perspiration, urine and even from your poop! So if you’re losing water every day, doesn’t it make sense that you should replenish the water supply?
The next question people ask is how much should I be drinking? The Institute of Medicine determined that an adequate intake for men is roughly about 13 cups (3 liters) of total beverages a day. For women it’s about 9 cups (2.2 liters) a day.
My calculation works out to be about the same when I say that you should divide your body weight in half and that’s how many ounces you should be drinking per day.
Bathwater and Epsom Salts:
Many people find it very relaxing to take baths and sometimes add Epsom salts
in the water. Although known for many health benefits, most people don’t know WHY Epsom salts are so good for you. Did you know that Epsom salt is not really salt? It actually comes from a saline spring from a place called Epsom in Surry, England. It is a naturally occurring pure mineral compound of magnesium and sulfate. Studies have shown that magnesium and sulfate are both readily absorbed through the skin, making Epsom salt baths
an easy and ideal way to absorb these minerals
through the skin.
Magnesium plays a number of roles in the body including regulating the activity of over 325 enzymes, reducing inflammation, helping muscle and nerve function and helping to prevent artery hardening. Sulfates help
improve the absorption of nutrients, flush toxins and help ease migraine headaches.
Isn’t this great?
Water as a Healer: Radio-Energetic Hot Mineral Springs
Outdoor natural hydro-therapy is very popular throughout the world.
I am looking forward to visiting one of the world’s popular Islands in Greece called Ikaria (close to Turkey). Along the coastline of Ikaria, there are several areas where radio-energetic hot mineral springs flow into the Sea from the shoreline where it is possible for one to bath and swim.
The essential elements in Ikaria’s therapeutic radio-energetic hot mineral springs are saline radium and radonium. The radio-energized mineral element saline radium and its gaseous form, radonium have been geologically diluted in the springs. The therapeutic effects of Ikaria’s radio-energetic hot mineral baths are delivered to the body primarily through inhalation while bathing (90%) while the remaining 10% is absorbed through the skin. 80% are expired by the lungs after one hour and the remainder within twenty three hours.
These mineral springs can have beneficial effects on the following diseases and disorders:
- Chronic rheumatism
- Uric and other forms of arthritis
- Neuritis and other neurological disorders
- Endocrine gland disorders
- Cutaneous diseases and especially eczema
- Gynecological disease and sterility
Baths are not allowed for persons suffering from: acute cases of rheumatism, heart disease or cerebral diseases.
Again, natures bounty brings us all we need to enjoy a healthy life on this planet ! Lets not take it for granted….Di
That’s a beautiful thought Diane. Water is incredible and it’s pretty amazing that we were born to rely on it.